Central Region Smoke Free Public Place Award – Uganda
The Tobacco Control Act Sections 11, 12 and 13 stipulates that every person has a right to a Tobacco Smoke-Free Environment. It continues to state that a person shall not smoke in a public place, workplace or in any means of public transport. Tobacco Smoking is prohibited within 50 meters of a public place.
Section 13 of the Law states that there;
– Should be clear No smoking notices/signs displayed in clear visible places,
– Should be No ashtrays on tables or on counters,
– Shisha products are banned in the country,
– No advertising and promoting tobacco products in any public place.
– Has’No Smoking’ Signs, or
– Has no Ashtrays in the premises, or
– Doesn’t sale Shisha, or
– Don’t Sale, Advertise or Promote Tobacco Products, or
– Strictly Prohibits Smoking in its premises, or
all the above can be nominated for the award that is expected to happen on the 14th of March 2019.
Eligible establishments should be;
– Educational Institutions
– Cinemas and theatrical performance venues
– Sports Stadium and playgrounds
– Office Buildings
– Shopping Malls and Market Places
– Health Institutions
– Hotels, Restaurants, and Bars
– Factories and Industries.
And must be located in Wakiso and Kampala Regions of Uganda.